Women Harmonica Players (all styles)
||Use the following links to visit the websites of the world's finest women players past and present.
- "Big Mama" Thornton
- "Big Mama Thornton was born in Montgomery, Alabama to a church minister and a gospel singer. She toured with Sammy Green's Hot Harlem Revue from 1941 to 1948. She learned to play the harmonica from Junior Parker and taught herself to play the drums."
- Annie Raines
- "Annie Raines was born near Boston, Massachusetts in 1969. She took up harmonica while still in high school and dropped out of her freshman year at Antioch to pursue a musical career. Fascinated by the sounds of Muddy Waters, Little Walter Jacobs, Big Walter and Sonny Boy Williamson, she spent countless hours listening to and absorbing the music of the Chicago blues masters."
- LynnAnn Hyde
- Lynn Ann Hyde, the only female professional blues harmonica in Portland, Oregon, lays down the passions of the genre.
- Lady A
- "...Accompanying him is his wife Lady A with her strong, raunchy blues vocal style and harmonica playing, it makes for a dynamic combo. Some of her influences are Etta James, Aretha Franklin and Robert Plant to name a few.She has worked with K.C and The Sunshine Band as well as various other touring and recording pros."
- Louise Hoffsten
- "One of Sweden's most successful female harmonica players,
singer/songwriters. You can listen to some of her work on MP3 from her
site. She currently has 9 CD's available."
- Little Jenny
- "Litte Jenny and the Blue Beans is Swedens only all women bluesband. The members are : Vivvi- guitar/voc, Jenny- harmonica/voc, Justina- drums, Marie- bass/voc."
- Hermonicas (women players)
- "A website devoted to women harmonica players."
- Roxy Perry
- "Her astonishing voice delivers an entire pallet of color and emotion throughout the album. Rough, tough, sweet and sultry, clear and honest vocal renderings are all put in the right places. She's got a NY style of humor…made me laugh out loud. While her ballads walk you straight into her heart of sincerity.
Roxy plays harp as well as she sings, and her seven piece band supports her every move flawlessly."
- Kat Baloun
- " I'm an American living in Berlin, Germany since 1994. I started a band here and I work with lots of other local musicians as well. I have one CD so far, and it's a live recording from Dec. of 2003. We do covers as well as originals. We love to play the blues and always have a good time."
- DJ Gosper
"Australian blues harp player and vocalist."DJ’s playing is a monument to style, tone and good taste." (Ernie Van Veen). "Canberra's DJ Gosper can rightfully take her place amongst this group of excellent female players who have made their mark on the instrumenet. A fine singer and multi-instrumentalist into the bargain...'' (Ross Ward). "DJ is not only one of the best female harmonica players around, she is one of the best harmonica players around….".
- JJ Slim
"JJ Slim has been playing harmonica, diatonics and
chromatics for over ten years with the group of the same name JJ Slim.
Their recently released CD "One Shining Star" features harmonica on every
cut showcasing the styles of Blues & Jazz. Her passionate approach is
evident in every song."
- Sandra Vazquez
- "The Official site of Sandra Vazquez. She is The Best Harmonica Player of Argentina."
- Jill "Chilly" Kurtz
"Chilly plays a mean blues harp. Her harp, combined with the punk
sensibilities of 'Caged Heat' makes for some of the best new music out there."
- Geneva Red
- "Geneva Red is one of the few female instrumentalists performing on the "blues harp" as well as leading her own band, The Roadsters. Red has just completed her second CD, "IN THE RED" and is gaining International acclaim for her harp playing, singing, and songwriting. She has also been endorsed by Hohner Harmonica's since 1998 and is featured on their site."
- Little Jenny & the Blue Beans
- "Swedens only all woman blues-rock band. Members are twice blues prize awarded. Little Jenny: harmonica, vocal, guitar; Justina Lakin: drums; Mia Kempff: bass vocal; Lotta Partapuoli: Guitar. Listen to MP3 soundclips from their new Live CD!"
- Cara Cooke
- "Known for her ability to play fiddle-tunes on the harmonica or to twin fiddlers with the harmonica, Cara applies those same skills towards a variety of music styles, but never ventures far from the acoustic music she loves to play the most: bluegrass. She has been termed "the best kept secret in Texas" by veteran Tennesee Valley Authority fiddler/mandolinist, Hank Harrison."
- Kate Freeman
"Kate Freeman delivers harp chock full of all the sweat, grit, tragedy, desperation, bare truth, deep love and sacrifice you can squeeze out of the blues. True to Delta and Piedmont roots, Kate Freeman and Hillary Kay form the jaw dropping Duo WILDSANG."
- Eileen Dorsey
- "Eileen has been playing harmonica with her own professional harmonica group - The Harmonica Star Revue - for over 25 years. She plays chord, chromatic, diatonic and bass harmonicas. Her harmonica playing has been recorded on three CDs -- In Review, The Sweet Harps, and most recently, a chromatic solo CD, Sentimental Moods (which was reviewed in Harmonica Happenings)."
- Beth Kohnen
- "Beth Kohnen and Knee Action is a four piece Chicago blues band owned and fronted by a little woman with a big harmonica sound. Beth is dedicated to diatonic amplified blues in the tradition of Chicago in the thirties and forties. She has been playing regularly in the top San Francisco Blues Clubs and just finished her second CD, the studio live 'Knee Action'. Go to her website to hear her first CD recorded in 2003 with Steve Freund, Wendy DeWitt, Randy Bermudes and June Core."
- Tracy K
- "2006 Winnipeg Blues.com 'Harmonica Player of the Year' and 'Female Vocalist of the Year', Tracy K started blowin' harp in 1982. After years of playing, her sound and passionate style evidently developed to capture the ears of thousands of blues enthusiasts, both live and on her recordings. She can be experienced in two formats: with her 'Right Hand Band', a four piece high-energy blues & roots rock dynamic concert presentation, featuring Tracy K's popular originals and carefully chosen covers reflecting Chicago and Texas roots; or in 'Blues Duo', a cabaret style acoustic concert featuring Jamie "Snakeman" Steinhoff."
- Mattie Phifer
- "Mattie Phifer plays guitar, harmonica, and is the lead vocalist for the Phifer Marshall Band of Richmond Virginia. Music critics have described Mattie’s harmonica playing as "whaling and meaty". Check out the website for samples of the music."
- Trina Hamlin
- "Trina Hamlin is known for her sizzling blues harmonica and her energy-packed singing and guitar work. Her pure voice and unspoiled powerful presence have gained the singer-songwriter from Minneapolis a steady national following since she began playing solo shows on the downtown New York City club scene. While touring acoustically across the country she has played shows with notables such as Paula Cole, Duncan Sheik, Ricki Lee Jones and John Hiatt. She was chosen as one of the "Most Wanted New Artists" at the Falcon Ridge Folk Festival and as an alumnus of the Newport Folk Festival, performed to a sold out crowd along with Ani DiFranco, Dar Williams and the Indigo Girls. She has performed on The Late Show with Conan O' Brien with the "Suits" and her music has been heard in the CBS-TV movie "Friends at Last," starring Kathleen Turner as well as on the WB's "Dawson's Creek". These days, live and on record, Hamlin can be found accompanying herself on guitar, harmonica and piano, working her keen sense of intuition and surrounding herself with music."
- Christelle Berthon
- "A french harmonica player playing blues, jazz, pop."
- The Traveling Harmonica - Ms Harmonica
- "Ms Harmonica, a "Featured Artist" for Lee Oskar Harmonicas has developed a New Breed of blog mixing Travel and Music. This informative website provides data on Music Jams and Open Mics around the World along with various posts on music venues, bands, renowned musicians, music lovers, and our Hall of Fame! You will also find detailed information on travel gear, travel tips and storytelling with a mix of cultural insight and JamTrotting adventures!"
- "Suzuki Music USA and Godin Guitars have endorsed Octavia and she is noted in the blues world as one of the few women to mesmerize audiences with outstanding soulful harmonica, belting vocals and expressive guitar playing. Octavias' show consists of original and classic blues and brings influences of the late Etta James with whom she toured. Having played harp with Stevie Wonder, Octavia performed with The Allman Brothers Band, Freddy King, The Neville Brothers and Gil Scott-Heron. The Octavia Blues Band opened for B. B. King, Taj Mahal, Mavis Staples, Dr. John, Delbert McClinton, Elvin Bishop, The Muddy Waters Blues Band, Shamika Copeland, and Jeffrey Gaines. In production with her 6th album (2nd jazz album) engaging unforgettable performances are a constant with The Octavia Blues Band."
- Dana Dixon
- "The UK's leading Female Blues Harmonica player and vocalist, Dana delivers Blues in the American West Coast style a la James Harman etc. If you like your harp tone thick and fat and your vocals delivered with soul and grit check out this Blonde Bombshell from the UK!"
- Stacie Collins
- "Southern Rockin Harp Howlin Twang-Bangin' Baby!"
- Siobhan O'Brien
- "Hailing from Limerick Ireland, performs her self-penned music with guitar and harmonica.
Siobhan has roots from four generations in the music industry. Most notably, she is the niece of
Ireland's music legend, Brendan Bowyer (The Beatles opened for him at the Cave Club in England)
In addition to Bob Dylan inviting her to join him on stage, Siobhan has performed in concert as a
guest vocalist with bands as well as solo artists such as The Chieftains, Christy Moore and Donovan."
- Kellie Rucker
- "A gypsy by nature, Kellie started her career in the Northeast at 12 years old, later migrating to Los Angeles. Toughing it out over the years, Kellie played with notable L.A. blues players, rockers and jazz musicians, honing her craft and ultimately carving a niche as a singer, songwriter and recording artist. Her 4 CDs of all original material; "Ain't Hit Bottom", "Church of Texas" "In the Meantime - Music of Soul Return", and a compilation CD, "Blues is Blues" can all be found on internet outlets Amazon.com, CD Baby.com and iTunes. Kellie regularly tours in Europe and is available for touring and session work - she's one busy lady!"
- Teresa Lynne
- "Denver based singer songwriter Teresa Lynne has been called the "last Red Hot Mama" for her Etta James-style roadhouse blues, not to mention her gender-defying mastery of the harmonica."
- Sonny Babe
- "Erika Vezzani, aka Sonny Babe is one of the few harmonica woman player in Italy. Sonny Babe began her career in 2001 Over the years she gained extensive experience, both as a musician as frontwoman. Among the live collaborations she played harmonica with Skiantos and with the famous American country singer Danni Leigh."
- Annette Taborn
- "Annette has been playing harmonica for over 20 years and continues to emulate her favorite idols, Sonny Boy, Annie Raines and every instrument and sounds she hears...birds, trees, etc."
- Big Nancy
- "Big Nancy" Swarbrick is known as a prime mover in the NY/NJ tri-state area blues scene. She is currrently performing with Texas Lap Steel Legend Sonny Rhodes on his East Coast tours and with her own Blues and R&B band Supreme Court. Former Albert Collins guitarist Debbie Davies writes, "(Nancy is) one of the rare breed of really good female harp players. She has toured in the past with lots of big names, and garnered a lot of respect. There's no fluff; this is a real deep blues harp player."
- Gaye Adegbalola
- "Gaye is a member of Saffire-The Uppity Blues Women, with Ann Rabson and Andra Faye McIntosh. Gaye lends her competent harp playing along with guitar and great vocals to deliver blues with a decidely female attitude."
- Jackie Merritt
- "Jackie plays harmonica with “M.S.G.-The Acoustic Blues Trio, a Piedmont style acoustic blues trio."
- Maria Coyote
- "Maria is a master on Blues Harp."
If you have a harmonica-related website and would like it listed here, please email us with the web address, site title (or player's name), brief description, and the page it should be included on. Also, if you find any 'dead' links or have changed the URL to your site, let us know so we can make the update.
To open any of the pages in a new browser window, right-click and select "OPEN LINK IN NEW WINDOW" ("NEW WINDOW WITH THIS LINK" in Netscape). Macintosh users should click and hold on the link until you can select the same option.
SAMPLE VIDEO: Harmonica Instruction for Beginners
- Over 45 Hours of Video Lessons -
Attend up to 12 Live Classes per Month
* Dave Gage - 30 Year Teaching Pro
SAMPLE VIDEO: Advanced Harmonica Instruction
Dave explains how the concept of "Follow Through", as found in many sports, also applies directly to your breathing and airflow.
Dave explains the value of not just learning a scale up and down, but dividing it into smaller "bite-size" chunks, which can then be used as blues riffs.
Dave demonstrates how you can use the "Tonguing" technique to create interesting sounds such as the "Chicken Call".